Wednesday, April 8, 2020

I Got A Public Apology--And Cash

A lot of gamers joined Mandy's harassment campaign because they believed I somehow deserved to be libeled--largely due to Fox News-style conspiracy theories spread and/or invented by RPG conspiracy theorist Paul Matijevic aka Ettin. So when it comes to seeking accountability for the harassment, he seemed like a good place to start.

Ettin has a long history of stirring up hatemobs against game designers on twitter and on forums where he's acted as moderator (Something Awful and RPGnet), so I did what Dungeons & Dragons should've done in 2014 and what White Wolf Publishing should have done in 2017: I sued Ettin for defamation.

Paul has been in contact with Mandy. This week he admitted the claims weren't true and wrote me a check, he's posted it in several places:

Obviously gamers continuing to spread this shit is exhausting and stupid. If you can help by fact-checking people spreading bullshit in gamer circles: thanks.

8 comments:

  1. @Erased:

    Thanks but no anonymous comments allowed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the anonymous comment earlier , forgot to log in. Just wanted to send my support your way. I was also targeted back before the release of 5e by some of the same people. I was a vocal supporter of both you and Mandy at that time and am saddened to see it has come to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why you keep blaming gamers for this. It can't seriously be a 6 year hold over from Gamergate, can it? Especially when Mandy pulled the same exact shit that Zoe Quinn has for years, up to and including getting a man killed. In fact, she's in that very twitter thread you linked, poo pooing the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I blame gamers because literally everyone who actively pursued this harassment campaign was a gamer.

    If you can think of someone involved who was not, say their name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's over a year later and you haven't said their name, DBZ. You were lying so you're banned.

      Delete
  5. Jeezus. It's small potatoes, but good to know there's been a micron of resolution in this epic crusade/siege of shit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't brave enough to stick up for you for during the heat of all this bullshit and for that I apologize, but I hope that you win it all.

    ReplyDelete